The Q&A Archives: Weeping Peach Tree

Question: I have a weeping peach tree that is only 2 years old-it was doing well until we got a frost and very little rain-the leaves got burned- the leaves are now coming back; but not all the way to the ends of the branches (it only has about 10 branches)-Do I prune it or leave it alone?

Answer: It sounds as though the tips of the branches were killed back, too. Try scraping the bark at the ends of the branches. If you see green tissue just beneath the bark it means that part of the branch is still alive. If the tissue is brown, it is dead and you can prune it off the tree. Late frosts can sometimes kill off flowers and leaves but trees usually recover. I think yours will, too. Best wishes with your landscape.