The Q&A Archives: Indoor Bird of Paradise

Question: The existing leaves on my new Bird of Paradise have started curling up and turning brown, while sprouting new leaves. My house is a consistent 74-80 degrees and it very humid (we use a swamp cooler). The living room (where I put the plant) was a little dark so I just moved it to our kitchen next to a sliding door where it will get sun all day. Is the light a problem? Or not enought water?

Answer: It is natural for the oldest leaves to die off, but if the curling dying leaves seems sudden, it is possible that the move from the dark living rooom into the kitchen where there is sunshine might have been too big a change for your plant. As long as new foliage is appearing, the plant should adjust. If the new leaves begin to curl and brown, you may want to move it away from the window so it gets bright light but not direct sunshine. Hope this information helps.