The Q&A Archives: I have a question about my fruit and my bulb flowers

Question: I am moving to California in August and will pull my bulbs (Lilies,Canna,glads. How long they need to be dormant before you plant them again. Can I plant them as soon as I get there? Will they bloom again? Will they even grow in California? Also my fruit bushes are growing but not flowering, only the Strawberries have produced. Is there something wrong with my black-rasp-blue berries?

Answer: Cannas, lilies and glads will grow well in California. My only caution is that these plants need to retain their foliage for the rest of the summer in order to replenish the bulbs. If you dig them in August the tops will die and the bulbs won't have enough energy to develop foliage and flowers next year. It would actually be better to purchase new bulbs when you get to California and plant them in your new garden in the fall. But, if you are determined to move your plants, dig them carefully and pot them up into containers filled with potting soil so you can keep the tops alive during the move. When you get to your new location you can replant them in the ground.

Your berry plants will flower later this month and begin to set fruit in July and August. It's just a little early for them. Strawberries are much faster to flower and set fruit.

Enjoy your garden!