The Q&A Archives: hibiscus

Question: I purchased a small hibiscus type tree from home depot and planted it over the Memorial Day holiday, it is very pretty and I have been watering everyday--how long do I need to continue everyday watering, do you think it has rooted already--or how much should I water the plant, and will it return as a tree next year after dying back this year?

Answer: You should be able to reduce your watering. Try every 3-4 days. Watch the plant, though. If you see any wilting at all, increase the watering again. There are two types of hibiscus - tropical with glossy leaves - and hardy with dull leaves. Tropical hibiscus will die if the temperatures drop to freezing; hardy hibiscus will return year after year even if your garden gets freezing temperatures. Best wishes with your new plant.