The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Sweet Onion, Squash

Question: I planted Florida sweet onions and they never grew. Why? I cannot grow vine plants like squash. cucumbers; they flower then produce a little squash about 2 inches long which then rots off. Thank you for the help. G. Gornowicz Seminole, FL

Answer: Sweet onions are generally grown in the fall or early winter in Florida. That may be your reason for problems. Try to grow only Short Day onions such as Granex or Bermuda. Cucumbers and squash are realtively easy to grow once they are up and running.Plant after all danger of frost is past, amend the soil with compost before planting, grow disease resistant varieties (try hybrids they'll be more resistant to problems in your area) and keep them well watered through the growing season. At flowering, encourage bees to be around the garden to pollinate the flowers by growing flowers and herbs such as dill, salvia and marigolds. If they don't pollinate your flowers, you can by rubbing the pollen with a Q-tip from a male flower (no fruit behindthe flower) into the female flower (little fruit behind the flower) when both are open in the morning.