The Q&A Archives: drip system

Question: Planted 3 24in. boxed trees last week. (Texas ash and white birch). Want to install drip system around each from existing irrigation line. What do I need to install?

Answer: You can use either one gallon emitters or bubblers for your trees, attached to tubing you run from the main line. How often to water is a question I can't answer - it all depends upon your soil type. A 1-gph emitter will cover an area 12 inches in diameter in sandy soil or an area 18 inches in diameter in clay soil. I use one gallon emitters and run my system for 30 minutes twice a day in the summer time for my trees. I have clay soil. You want the moisture to soak down 24 to 36 inches deep so to find out how well the system is working you'll need to use a probe and push it down into the soil. It will be easy to push into moist soil but will stop in dry soil. If you can push the probe down 2-3 feet, the soil is moist enough. If not, you'll need to adjust the amount of time you run the system. Best wishes with your new trees.