The Q&A Archives: Greenhouse Materials

Question: I'm in the process of designing and building a greenhouse. I've toyed with various ideas for the roof. I was going to use skylights but recently toured a place that used "Dynaglas". Can you give me your ideas on proper roofing and the pro's and con's of Dynaglas?

Answer: Building a greenhouse is an exciting project and it is well worth doing some research ahead of time. Glass is the traditional material but there are a number of alternatives available today. There are many factors to take into account when determining which material will be best for you. Rather than try to discuss specific products, I think it would be more useful to examine some of the overall considerations for design and construction and work from there. Here is a link to a concise but thorough discussion of greenhouse construction considerations:

I think it should help answer your question. Good luck with your greenhouse!