The Q&A Archives: Information on Gardening in Alaska

Question: Have you published any articles on gardening as far north as Fairbanks, Alaska? If not, do you know of any good publications you would recommend? Also, what zone is Fairbanks in? Thanks for your time!! Bonnie Kleven Fairbanks, AK

Answer: We did publish an article entitled "Alaska: A Gardener's Challenge" back in January 1989; more recently we published "A Winter Vegetable Garden" in the Nov/Dec 1996 issue that contains information about cool-weather gardening. I came across a book titled "Organic Gardening in Cold Climates" by Sandra Perrin, published by Mountain Press Publishing in Missoula, Montana (1991). I don't know if it's still available, but the publisher's telephone number is 406/728-1900. Another good source of information is your Cooperative Extension System -- they may have publications of interest to you. Your local agent's number is 907/452-1548. It looks like you are located in zone 1, or possible zone 2A.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"