The Q&A Archives: Raccoon Control

Question: Is there a successful way to eliminate the problem of raccoons breaking off and eating our corn?

Answer: Raccoons may be fenced out with a low electric fence. I had problems with the little thieves in a strawberry patch. I fenced the area with two wires, one about 7 inches high and the other about 8 inches above that. It worked for me although some people use three wires. Fence chargers are available at many feed stores and large hardware chain stores.

I have also purchased a cage-type live trap and had fair success catching the coons and releasing them in a national forest several miles away. Be very careful if you choose this option, since the animals can be nasty. You may want to hire a professional to do this.

Good luck with your corn!