The Q&A Archives: speedwell,creeping charlie,hennbit

Question: I have a number of these weeds in lawn,would fallbe the best time to use a bagged fertilizer,what would you suggest(brand).I used chemical in may,june not much luck. thanks alot

Answer: Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea) can be a real pest. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to their lawn. The boron doesn't affect the grass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply in May when the weather starts to warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results.

Henbit and speedwell are broadleaf weeds and will respond to herbicides containing 2,4-D. Or you can spot treat with a broadleaf weed killer (such as one for dandelions). Good luck with your lawn.