The Q&A Archives: spooky garden pests

Question: I recently planted lettuce, bell peppers and carrots, and after they germinated about two weeks something came and ate the tops off all my plants. I had snail bait around all of them, so I don't think it's snails. What else could it be? I have squash, melons, tomatoes and corn that are doing fine.

Answer: All kinds of critters can feast on the tender foliage of lettuce, peppers and carrots. The most likely culprits are rabbits, but mice and rats will also munch on young vegetables. If only parts of the plants are gone, crows might be responsible. Try making hoops out of chicken wire and setting them over your little plants. This barrier should keep most garden mauraders out. If they are still being eaten after putting up hoop barriers, rats or mice are probably at work. Hope you have a great harvest!