The Q&A Archives: geraniums

Question: I have a hanging geranium plant that got knocked over and a healthy shoot with several buds was broken off. Can I save it? How?

Answer: The geranium will recover and you can probably root the broken shoot. Start by cutting the shoot into 3" pieces; each piece should have a node or leaf scar. Leave the tip of the shoot about 4" long and leave the foliage on. You can place this part in a glass of water and it should develop roots. The pieces that you cut should be laid sideways on moistened potting soil or sand. Cover over the cut edges with more potting soil or sand but leave the leaf scar exposed. In a few weeks each cutting will develop roots and a new leaf will emerge from the leaf scar. Best wishes with your new little plants!