The Q&A Archives: winged ants?

Question: My dad always said if i had any questions about the garden to ask you. While I was weeding one of his gardens (for Father

Answer: Slugs are easy to control - just hand pick them and toss them into a bucket of soapy water. Or sprinkle an iron based slug bait over the soil. I use a product called Sluggo. It is harmless to pets and people and whatever is not eaten by the slugs dissolves into iron which can enrich the soil. The winged ants might be a little more difficult to control. They sound as though they are preparing to move on to a new home. Now that you have disturbed them, they may leave on their own. Or, you can set out ant traps.

A good least-toxic method is the use of boric acid baits. Boric acid baits can eliminate some ant colonies in about one week. The trick is to not kill the ants at the bait station, but to get the ants to carry the boric acid back to the nest, poisoning the members of the colony that never leave the nest. Most ants feed either on sugars or on protein, fats, or oils. To see which type you have, place small dabs of jelly and peanut butter (not mixed) where ants are seen and watch which food they are attracted to. If they are attracted to the jelly, you can make a boric acid bait by mixing one-half cup jelly, such as apple jelly, with 1 1/4 tsp boric acid powder. Punch several holes in the lid of the jar, then screw the lid on tightly and seal with tape. The holes should be large enough for the ants to pass through to reach the bait. Place the bait jar on its side where the ants will come in contact with it. If the ants are unable to gain footing on the jar lid, you might want to scratch the surface with sandpaper or a pebble. If the ants are attracted to peanut butter, use that for your bait rather than jelly. If you find many dead ants around the bait station, which ever bait you use, lower the amount of boric acid in the mixture. If you are still finding live ants after a week to 10 days, increase the amount of boric acid. Although boric acid is of very low toxicity, it is best to place bait jars where young children and pets cannot reach them.

I think weeding a garden for a Father's Day gift is a terrific idea! I know your dad will really appreciate your efforts. Keep up the good work!