The Q&A Archives: My tropical palm plant

Question: We recently bought a tall palm plant from Home Depot. The cashier noticed a worm on it and removed it and we took the palm home.; Since then, we have had many worms on the plant. We replanted it today and still see worms. They are small and dark brown in color. We just put the plant outside in our yard. Will the worms harm the plant or should we return it? Many thanks, Marianne

Answer: I can't tell from your description whether the worms are attacking your palm or if they are secondary and just wandered over from another plant in the nursery. There is a product called Bt (bacillus thuringensis) that will control small caterpillars. It is sold under the names Dipel and Thuricide. Spray your plant with Bt and see if that takes care of them. If not, return the palm for a healthier specimen. Best wishes with your palm!