The Q&A Archives: brown leaves on vegetable

Question: most of all my vegetable plants, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, dill weed and squash all have brown leaves on the bottom and some have holes. I water everyday and we get monsoon rains too. Is the problem too much water?

Answer: I would vote that you are overwatering. Vegetable plants need about an inch of water per week. For healthy plants, water deeply every 3-4 days by flooding the soil and allowing the water to percolate down at least 12" into the soil. Watering everyday can actually suffocate the roots and encourage them to stay near the top of the soil. Deep watering will encourage deep rooting and the plants will anchor themselves better into the soil and be more drought tolerant, too. So when you water, water deeply and then wait 3-4 days before watering again. I think you'll see a big improvement in your plants when you follow this watering suggestion. Best wishes with your veggies.