The Q&A Archives: Retaining wall

Question: I just had an above- ground swimming pool installed in my back yard. However, due to a sloping yard they had to dig out quite a bit of dirt. I now have a vertical face of dirt about 30

Answer: Probably the easiest approach is to use the mortar free landscape blocks available at most garden centers. They stack one on top of the other and interlock so the blocks won't move yet they won't need to be cemented together. You simply stack them one on top of the other and push them together so they interlock. You'll need to start by excavating the soil so you can bury the first line of blocks by a few inches. Gravel or sand is the base you'll use. Once you choose the landscape blocks you like, you will find a rack of brochures for step by step guidance in installation of those particular landscape blocks. Best wishes with your new retaining wall.