The Q&A Archives: Bleeding heart dies off

Question: According to the info on your bleeding hearts it should have to be pruned after the first frost. Mine is breathtaking as is over 3 foot tall and about four foot in circum. But it dies down during the summer and leaves a huge open area in my garden. Is there somethingI am doing wrong?

Answer: You are not doing anything wrong. Bleeding heart grows and blooms beautifully in the cool spring months and then naturally dies down in early to mid summer. I know it leaves a huge hole in the garden when this happens, but it is normal and natural. You can anticipate this and plant annuals in front of the bleeding heart plants. When the plants die down the annuals will help fill the void. That's what I do. Best wishes with your garden!