The Q&A Archives: Landscaping

Question: I have an area under a magnolia with hard soil. I am trying to figure out how to landscape it. It is a shaded area. The landscaping has to accomodate the many leaves and spent blooms that have to be raked up each year. Thus, bark would not work. Rocks? Small ones wouldn't work.

Answer: It is difficult to successfully plant things under a magnolia tree. Not only is the area shady but the soil will be dry because the roots are close to the surface and drink up all the available moisture. This competition makes it hard for even dry shade loving groundcovers to survive. You can try cinnamon ferns, hostas, Sweet Woodruff, ajuga or vinca minor. You can blow or rake the leaves out of the last three suggestions without much damage and those leaves and flowers you miss will be hidden in among the plants. Best wishes with your garden.