The Q&A Archives: tomato plants

Question: HI, I recently purchased a potted tomato plant for my apt. patio. I asked the guy who worked that day if I had to transplant the plant into a bigger spot in the front of my apt.I was told no, and now my plant is getting yellow and I do not have any flowers or tomatoes on it. What am i doing wrong. I also have a green pepper plant with the same problem thank you

Answer: Tomato and pepper plants will both grow nicely in containers in a sunny spot. Patio tomato plants should be in a 2-3 gallon pot. Although they are small plants, they have big root systems. I would repot the plant into a larger container using fresh potting soil. After you've moved it, water it well and feed it with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro). Same with the pepper plant. They both sound as though they need more root room and a little fertilizer. Hope this helps!