The Q&A Archives: a gardenia question

Question: i have a small potted gardenia, a bit over a year ago our labrador puppy ate almost half the plant and destroyed the pot it was in (the dog is fine though) the plat survived an was repotted, it is now over a year later and the plant is growing new leaves but no new blooms, will my gardenia never bloom again? what can i do to make it flower? please help.

Answer: I'm glad your Lab is okay! Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). You can feed your plant with an acidified fertilizer such as Miracid. An abundance of moisture and high humidity are the most important factors in successful gardenia culture. Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or flower buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!