The Q&A Archives: Anti-groundhog Fencing

Question: I am a home gardener in Boxford, Massachusetts. I have been plagued in years past by Groundhogs getting into the garden. I have just put a new fence around the garden with 4x4 posts, pressure treated, cemented into the ground, with heavy gauge steel fence, 3 feet tall attached. They will not be getting through the fence. My question is: Can they get under the fence? I buried it about 6 in the ground -- is this enough? What other options/recommendations might you have? I have a 'have-a heart' trap and do catch these critters that way, but once I catch them, the options are limited as there are less spaces to drive them to and drop them off.

Answer: Only the most determined (and probably crazy) ground hog will spend the effort digging under the 6-inches of buried fence. More likely they will move on to easier pastures.