The Q&A Archives: Verbascum

Question: I have been cutting flowers from my Southern Charm Verbascum to put on my desk at work and keep getting asked if it can be started from seeds. Will I be able to share the seeds of this plant?

Answer: Verbascum self-sows easily and sometimes is even considered a weedy plant. You can share the seeds of your plant with co-workers. Late in the summer let the flowers dry on the plant. When the seedheads are dry you can cut them and collect the seed. Sow the seeds directly in the garden or save them by putting them in an airtight container and storing over the winter in a cool, dark location. Next spring sow the seeds directly in the garden and you (or your co-workers) will have lots of new little Verbascums.