The Q&A Archives: honeysuckles

Question: I live in Abq, NM(zone 7) and would like to plant more honeysuckles in my yard. I curretly have serveral Halls which are about 50% deciduious. I was told that Purple Japanese Honeysuckle are more hardy? What are the differences? It is important that I choose a hardy varity due to privacy issues.

Answer: Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) is an evergreen vine and hardy to zone 6 but even in zone 7 it may be only semi evergreen. Lonicera caerulea, or blue honeysuckle is considered semi-evergreen in your region which means it will lose some but not all of its leaves when the weather gets cool. Lonicera henryi is a beautiful evergreen honeysuckle. Lonicera periclymenum `Monul` (Berries Jubilee) is also considered semi-evergreen. Sorry I can't find a truly evergreen honeysuckle for you.