The Q&A Archives: down slope in my garden

Question: my front garden is long and narrow and also slopes down to the sidewalk. I would like to know how to terrace my garden with rocks

Answer: You will need to start by measuring the length of area and determining the amount of slope. (Attach a piece of wire to a stake driven into the ground at the highest point of the slope and then attach the wire to a second stake at the bottom of the slope, keeping the wire level with the highest point.) Measure the distance between the highest point and the lowest point to determine the rise and run of the area you want to terrace. Then compute how many levels and what sizes of terraces you will need. For instance, if the run is 16 feet and the rise is four feet, then you need four sections that are each four feet long and one foot high. Each four foot section will be a one foot rise in the terracing of the slope. Hope this information helps.