The Q&A Archives: lawn care

Question: My lawn is 15% crabgrass,chicweeds,mallow,spurge,dandelions.I used preemergent in early March.Rains did not let me use weed & feed.And now temp over 90F, label does not recommend use of weed & feed, or hebicide spray for spot treatment.What do you recommend for crabgrass & weed control? And for general fertilization,does Homedepot carry any organic fertilizer? Can I use milogranite?Thank you

Answer: Milorganite should not be used when temperatures are warm so I'm afraid you should not use it now, either. Spring and fall are the best times to fertilize, and late winter or early spring is the time to use a pre emergence product to avoid weeds during the summer months. I'm not sure there is anything that is safe to apply to your lawn now that the heat has arrived. Digging the worst of the weeds and mowing the remainder to keep them from flowering and spreading seeds are the best approaches at the moment. Wish I had more suggestons for you!