The Q&A Archives: roses

Question: I work at Home Depot and I have been telling people that I use Bayer fertilizer for my roses (which is true). A man told me yesterday that Super Bloom was better. What is your opinion? Thanks

Answer: I think when you recommed a product that you have personal experience with, and one that you are familiar with, you are really providing a good service to your customers. Bayer Advanced Rose Food has an NPK ratio of 18-11-16. Nitrogen promotes lush green growth, phosphorous promotes flowering, and potassium helps strengthen stems and encourage good root growth.

Green Light Super Bloom fertilizer has an NPK ratio of 12-55-6. As you can see, it has more phosphorous, which will encourage more flowers.

They will both work well and maybe the cost difference will matter to your customers. As far as deciding which is better, I think I'd simply present the evidence and allow the customer to make the final choice.

Enjoy your roses!