The Q&A Archives: mosquito repellent

Question: I purchased the Patio Lantern w/$5.00 coupon, and I question it's safety. The directions suggest to cover food and is hazardous to humans and animals. Please advise.

Answer: The ThermaCELL lantern is silent and odor free, and has no messy wax. It operates on a single butane cartridge, which heats a mat releasing allethrin, an insect repellent that is a synthetic copy of a natural insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers, creating a 15 x 15-foot comfort zone.

The caution you read on the instructions is the result of a state mandate for anything that contains a chemical. I've done extensive research and the studies indicate the product is safe to use outdoors. ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent has sold hundreds of thousands of units and over a million refills. No health problems have been reported to the company. When used according to directions, it should be safe for you to use.

If you'd like to do your own research on the internet, use the search word "allethrin" or "Thermacell" and you'll come up with dozens of pages of information, some from government studies, some from university researchers and some from the company itself.

Best wishes with your new patio lantern!