The Q&A Archives: Birds ? and tomatoes

Question: My tomatoes appear to become a favorite of birds, anyway I think that is what the pecking marks and half eaten fruits are being eaten by. If it is not birds I am unsure as to what it is, I have seen no caterpillars and the evidence of being eaten is only the tomatoes that are on the exterior of the plants.
How do I stop them?

Answer: Probably is bird damage from what you describe so you may want to drive a few stakes into the ground and just drape bird netting over the stakes. Make sure the netting rests a few inches above your plants or the birds will simply sit on the netting and peck away. If you drape the birdnetting over the stakes you can move it out of the way to tend your plants. Just be sure to replace it when you are finished working in the garden. Good luck with your tomatoes!