The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple curves at the top

Question: I'm not sure if my question went through the first time I sent it.

I have a Japanese Maple that I bought at Home Depot last year. It curves at the top and has a branch near the top that curves and crosses back. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to prune those 2 portions?

Answer: Most Japanese maples have a mounding growth habit and it is not unusual for them to develop branches as you describe. But, some Japanese maples are more upright in their growth habits, in which case the crossing branches should be retrained. Before pruning it, try to find the cultivar name so we can do some research into its growth habit. It may be that you can simply stake and tie an upright maple to train the branches upright. Find the name of the tree and submit another question to this forum so we can suggest remedies. We look forward to hearing from you soon!