The Q&A Archives: My new foxglove lost blooms

Question: I bought and planted a foxglove in late May. I watered daily at first and yet all the blooms have fallen off. Should I cut it back to the foliage or wait? It looks so bare and the stems look dried out.

Answer: Daily watering is a bit much, even in the summer heat. Instead, water deeply only twice a week to encourage deep root growth (that's where the soil is cooler and moisture remains for several days). There are two kinds of foxgloves - biennial which bloom in the spring - and perennial, which bloom in the summer months. When the flowers are spent on either type, cut the flowering stalk down to foliage level. The plant will send up a new flower stalk in a few weeks. After it has finished flowering it will die down and rest so don't be alarmed. It will return next spring. Enjoy your foxglove!