The Q&A Archives: How can I get grass to grow in my backyard without spending a ton of money?

Question: I am living in base housing and the grass seed used to help my grass has not taken. I think this is because of the oak trees surrounding the property. What is my best and cheapest option to get some grass in my baackyard?

Answer: If the area is shady you may have a difficult time getting grass to grow. Bermuda is somewhat shade tolerant, but other warm season grasses are not. You may have used a cool season grass seed when you overseeded. Cool season grasses grow well during the cooler months of the year but then die out when the weather gets hot. That's when the warm season grasses such as bermuda come out of their dormancy and begin to green up. If you already have bermuda grass, just watering regularly and feeding in the spring and the fall will help it green up. If there is already turf in your yard, try watering deeply twice each week. It may green up all on its own. If not, try overseeding again, this time keeping the area consistently moist until the grass seeds germinate, and then gradually decreasing watering until you are only watering deeply twice a week. Hope this helps.