The Q&A Archives: Pruning Porter Weed

Question: Normally the single winter frost we have around here kills
back my beautiful blue porter weed, leaving it to regrow each summer. This year, we had no frost, the wettest winter on record, and then an early hot spell. Needless to say, instead of being a drift of beauty, it has become a rather unsightly blob. Can I prune now (we're in a drought here) or should I wait until fall?

Answer: Most tender perennials may be pruned back following a mild winter to rejuvinate and increase density. Make sure and provide plenty of water for a week prior to pruning and then water as needed after to support regrowth. Remember that pruning is often done for aesthetic purposes, rather than for the plant's needs.

Make your plant look like you want. Just complete the pruning soon so there is plenty of time to regrow and look good before winter arrives again.