The Q&A Archives: Red Ants

Question: I have a real red ant problem in theback yard that just seems to get wrose each year. We treat it with pesticides but they barely get rid of any of the ants. Any ideas why they are here and why they are so hard to get rid of? I have at least 100 ant hills

Answer: I suspect the red ants are harvester or thatching ants. Red harvester ant foragers collect seeds and dead insects and store them in the nests as food for the colony. Although any insecticide registered to control ?ants? can be used to control harvester ants, few are registered specifically to control these species. According to your local cooperative extension office, "Harvester ant colonies can be quickly eliminated using Amdro? Pro Fire Ant Bait containing 0.73 percent hydramethylnon. Individual colonies can be treated using 2 to 5 tablespoons of product scattered around the colony?s central opening. In larger areas, the product can be broadcast at a rate of 1 to 1 1/2 pounds product per acre (2 to 3 ounces per 5,000 square feet) using a suitable application device such as a hand-cranked seeder". For more information, contact UMass Extension Central Region Office, 237 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01609-2935, phone 508-831-1223.