The Q&A Archives: Orange Tree

Question: WE have a mature orange tree. It seems to produce continuously. We have baby fruit,ripening fruit and old fruit. Is there not a time when it should rest and I should pull all the old oranges off?

Answer: Oranges will remain on the tree for several months but they should probably be removed by late February so the tree can concentrate on the new fruit it is producing. I harvest my mature oranges each time the tree puts out a fresh flush of flowers. Depending upon weather, that's usually in mid-January. That's also when I prune. This way I know where the new fruit will be developing and I can control the size of the tree. With your tree I would suggest you harvest all the full sized fruit that you know is mature and allow the tree to concentrate on maturing whatever else is there. Enjoy your oranges!