The Q&A Archives: fertilizer

Question: Which is better,6-6-6 or 10-10-10 as far as fertilization for topiaries and ficus and impatiens in pots. We have had our porches painted with acrylic and clear coat and are seeking advice as far as keeping stains off which are probably caused by fertilizer and possibly standing water.

Answer: I'd go with a water soluable fertilizer if the plants are in containers. Feed at a half strength dilution every 3-4 weeks during the summertime. I use Miracle Gro 20-20-20 for my containerized plants. If your plants are in the ground, you can use a slow release 10-10-10. The only way to keep fertilizer stains off your porch is to rinse off any overflow with fresh water. Just feed your plants as usual and after the excess water has drained from the containers, but before it has a chance to dry, rinse it off with water from the hose. If the water puddles, sweep it off the porch with a broom. Wish there were another solution!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"