The Q&A Archives: Choosing Vines for Morning Sun Exposure

Question: I live in an apartment with a good-sized balcony which is shaded by the balcony of the apartment above. I get good morning light -- up to about 10 a.m. I'd like to plant some sort of vine, flowering or otherwise, using planter boxes and trellises, which would grow around and up the railings. I'm considering multi-colored morning glories, but am not sure how much sun they need. Can you tell me whether this is a good idea or not, and, hopefully, suggest other vines which might be suitable. Also, I'm a new resident of Oregon and wish to know when the danger of frost is passed here (I'm at about 1,000 ft. altitude). Thank you very much. Grace Walters Lake Oswego, OR

Answer: Unfortunately, morning glories like full sun to do their best. You might want to try Cobaea Mountain Glory (Burpee catalog, p. 39) which can withstand a bit more shade. Other options for annual climbers include passionflower and sweet peas. Your local Cooperative Extension agent should be able to tell you the approximate last frost date for your specific area; the telephone number is 503/655-8631.