The Q&A Archives: fuyu persimmon

Question: Hello,

My tree is about 4 years old, have a lot of tiny fruits this year, but the fruits are dropping. What is the problem? Too much or too little water? I deep water about once a week.

Thank you

Answer: There may not be anything wrong with your tree. Persimmons do not set and hold fruit well when they are young. Stresses from droughty soil or soggy soil conditions, excessive fertilization, a heavy fruit load, or shady conditions can all result in fruit drop. Or the plant might just be going through a natural thinning process because it is not capable of developing all the fruits it set. As long as the tree looks healthy and is putting out new growth I'm sure it is fine. As the tree matures it will be able to hold and mature more and more fruits each year. Just continue to provide good care and eventually you will be rewarded with lots and lots of persimmons. Enjoy!