The Q&A Archives: dogwood not flowering

Question: I think I have a Washington Dogwood? It had white flowers last year but not many. It had been in full sun. In the fall I moved it to partial shade, it always seemed shriveld up in full sun.

Now in partial shade ( a.m.) sun, the foilage looks great ---but no flowers. I have used Osmocote, and Alfalfa, on and off since early spring.
Any tips, or reason for no flowers ?

Thanks, Janis

Answer: Dogwood trees are understory trees in the Pacific Northwest. They thrive when given morning sun and filtered shade from afternoon sunshine. I think your dogwood is adjusting to its new place in the garden and re-establishing its roots. As soon as it is comfortable in its new surroundings it will flower for you. Now that it is in the proper place in your landscape, and with all the good care you are giving it, I think it will flower for you next spring. Enjoy!