The Q&A Archives: Dying Lawn

Question: I purchased a home a couple of weeks ago, and my lawn quickly started turning brown [dying?]. How do I revive it? Or should I just re-sod? It's a bit out of my budget right now. Any good

Answer: In Riverside I'll bet your lawn is a combination of cool season and warm season grasses. Cool season grasses go dormant when the weather gets hot, just about the time the warm season grasses start to green up. Then in the fall when the weather cools the warm season grasses go dormant and the cool season grasses begin to green up. Turfgrasses need about an inch of water per week to remain healthy and they should be fed in the spring and again in the fall. You didn't say, but I'm assuming you are watering regularly. If so, and if your lawn is turning brown, I'll bet it's due to the turf type rather than your watering habits. I would continue to water on a regular basis. If the lawn does not green up at all within a few weeks, it indicates the turf is a cool season one and you may want to sow bermuda seed next spring so it will remain green all summer as well as most of the winter. Good luck with your new home, and with your lawn.