The Q&A Archives: Can I plant Mexican Daylilies indoors?

Question: I would like to know if I can plant Peacock Orchids or Mexican Daylilyes in the house? If so what size pots?
Thank u in advance!

Answer: Peacock orchid (Acidanthera) is related to the gladiolus family and it is actually not orchids as the name may otherwise suggest. The plant is grown from small corms which requires a long growing season. if planted in late spring, the bulbs flower in late summer, early fall.

You can start them indoors if you can give them enough light. A sunny window and turning the pot daily may be enough, but otherwise a fluorescent light fixture placed 2-3" above the top of the plants can be used. Start them 4-6 weeks prior to planting out for earliest flowering. Plant outdoors around memorial day if you start them indoors.

Planting in large groups is most effective and flowers are good for cutting. A sunny growing area with light well- drained soil is best. Water generously except when plants flower or after blooming. The plants grow 18 to 30 inches tall.

You can also plant the corms directly outdoors three inches deep and six inches apart in the spring after last chance of frost. Dig and clean the corms in the fall after the foliage matures. Store the corms in dry sand at temperatures above 60 degrees.

You can try some of them as houseplants but normally they dislike cold window sills so unless you can give them plenty of light and warmth, you are probably better off starting them indoors and then moving them outdoors to flower.

Most people grow them due to their fragrance. For some people, however, this same fragrance can be very overpowering indoors which is also something to think about.
I love peacock orchids. I am sure you will, too.

Tigridia, or Mexican Daylily needs to be outdoors in a sunny spot. These plants are related to gladiolus and will thrive under the same growing conditions.

Best wishes with your garden!