The Q&A Archives: psychandra and myrtle

Question: I have an area of psychandra and another area of myrtle on the front, south, side of my house, close to the house. Neither the myrtle nor the psychandra thrives. Too much sun? Is there anything I can do to have these plants grow better?
I have daffodill bulbs also in these areas and those plants do well. The myrtle and psychandra do not fill in well and grass takes hold. Help!

Answer: Pachysandra is virtually care free. However, if your soil is not rich with organic matter, your plants may benefit from an application of fertilizer. It likes moist soil, as well so if you have not been watering each week, that might account for its slow growth. I use a foliar feeding for my groundcovers. You might try applying Miracle Gro or other liquid ferilizer to jump start the plants. A long established bed often benefits from periodic shearing, either with hand hedge clippers, hand grass shears, or a power lawn mower at its highest blade setting to avoid cutting the plants to the ground. This encourages sparsely growing plants to fill in and revitalizes tired foliage. You can use this same technique with your myrtle. Feeding, pruning and occasional feeding should make a big difference in the behavior of your ground covering plants. Best wishes with your landscape!