The Q&A Archives: crepe myrtle tall trees

Question: I have four beautiful tall crepe myrtles in my front yard. The problem is they hardly bloom at all. One might get one bloom, maybe two, the other none at all. They are in the sun. What is the problem. All the other crepe myrtles in my area bloom profusely.

Answer: How annoying! Crape myrtles produce flowers on the new growth of the season. Sometimes you can encourage flowering by pruning lightly. The timing has to be right, though, or you might accidentally prune off the flowers before they open. Use your neighboring crape myrtles as an indication of the best times to prune. Before they set flower buds, prune yours back. When they are finished flowering prune your crape myrtles back again. This should encourage a flush of new growth which should flower later in the summer. Once your crape myrtles have flowered, they should get into the habit of flowering all on their own. Hope so!