The Q&A Archives: Double Daylily

Question: Are there any varieties of double daylilies? I have some orange ones that have mutated into a double flower, yet I have never seen anything like them in catalogs or books. They look as though one flower is growing in the middle of another. I first noticed them about three years ago. This year there are at least four plants blooming this way, yet I am sure they were originally the typical orange daylily. I haven't seen any seed pods so I don't know if they would reproduce as single or double flowers.

Answer: There is indeed a double flowered daylily as you described. It is called Hemerocallis fulva "Kwanso" or occasionally "Flore Pleno" and is naturalized in many areas. This one along with the single orange (or Tawny) daylily (H.fulva) is included in the parentage of most of the hybrids today, including a number of "doubles".

Specialty daylily suppliers such as Oakes Daylilies generally carry a selection of modern hybrid doubles. You might enjoy their catalog and collector's listing which includes a good many. Their address is 8204 Monday Rd., Corryton, TN, 37721 Phone: 1-800-532-9545. Their web site at also has photos of a few.

Some forms of the species including the most common single orange, H.fulva "Europa", set only fertile pollen rather than seeds so that could explain why you haven't seen any pods. These daylilies spread aggressively by rhizomes so perhaps you had a Kwanso rhizome mixed in with the others. What fun!