The Q&A Archives: When to plant oakleaf hydrangea

Question: I live in Chesapeake, VA and I have an empty spot I want to fill with an oakleaf hydrangea. I would like to plant one now, but is it necessary to wait until fall or spring? Thanks.

Answer: You can plant now but you'll want to provide extra care until your new hydrangea becomes established. We like to recommend spring or fall planting because weather is cooler and rainfall more abundant which lessens transplanting stress. But oakleaf hydrangeas are normally planted in a shady or partially shady spots so hot afternoon sunshine should not be an issue with this particular plant. The general advice when planting in sunny sites is to provide shade from hot summer sunshine for a week or so after planting. Go ahead and plant now, being sure to water deeply once or twice a week to help the roots establish. Enjoy your new hydrangea.