The Q&A Archives: Yellow Mold on Plant Pot

Question: I am using organic potting soil for my green peppers. I have noticed a yellow mold growing on top of the soil and on the side of the plant pot. I wiped it off last night and this morning it was there again. How can I get rid of this?

Answer: A yellow mold-like growth may indicate the presence of a saprophytic soil fungus, a fungus that lives on dead or decaying matter. The fungus will not harm the plant but may indicate unsterile potting medium or an overwatered plant. Scrape it off the soil as it appears. If you have more of the potting soil, you may want to sterilize it before using it. You can place small amounts in plastic bags and microwave for 2 minutes or spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it in a conventional oven at 180F degrees for about 30 minutes.