The Q&A Archives: Rose of Sharon Problem

Question: I have 2nd year Rose of Sharon of which all the leaves have fallen off, but what buds were on it did stay on and bloomed, but no new ones. Had a week of constant rain 3 wks ago, but even though good drainage, it stood in water. What can I do?

Answer: It sounds as though your Rose of Sharon has been terribly stressed by the excessive rainfall. With any luck it will recover from this and leaf out again. Until then, all I can suggest is to take a wait and see attitude. It may be that you will need to prune your shrub back once you see where the new growth is coming from. I imagine that it will be lower down on the plant rather than on the upper parts of the branches. Just be patient with your plant and hope for the best.