The Q&A Archives: Black Widow

Question: I am having problems with black widows in the yard and vegetable garden. Normally I would not worry but I have small children. What can I do to reduce their numbers?

Answer: I checked with the Virginia Cooperative Extension office and they suggest using Permethrin in your vegetable garden. Permethrin is the oldest, and most common, of the pyrethroid insecticides. It is widely available and is sold under a large number of brand names. Permethrin is labeled for use on many different vegetable crops and is effective against many spider, beetle, bug, and caterpillar pests. Because it controls so many different insect pests and is labeled for use on most vegetables, this is probably one of the most useful insecticides for home vegetable gardeners to keep on hand. They also suggest simply raking or cultivating around your plants regularly to discourage black widows from hanging around the rest of the landscape. Good luck with your garden!