The Q&A Archives: cherry trees

Question: how do you plant cherry pits

Answer: I looked into it a bit, and this is what I found: Although the seeds inside cherry pits will probably grow into plants in time, it would be a much better idea to buy a started cherry tree from a professional grower if you are interested in growing it for fruit production. Fruiting trees are usually carefully bred and grafted onto suitable rootstock in order to create reliable, proven performers that resist common diseases and produce the desired types of fruit. Not every seed from every plant or tree will grow to look or behave--or taste--like its parent. Also, it would probably take you many years to grow a cherry seed into a tree that would be capable of producing fruit--if the seed you have grown is even capable of producing fruit and doesn't succumb to disease first. It would also be wise to do some research to see what types of cherry are suited to your local climate.

But, if you are intent on growing cherry trees from seed, the pit should be washed and dried before placing it into cold storage. Just wash them with water and remove as much as pulp around the seed as possible. Then let them sit on a paper towel for a few days until all existing pulp has dried and can be easily removed from the pit. Once the pit is clean, place it in a folded papertowel and into a plastic baggie and then into the refrigerator for 3-4 months. After the cooler period you can plant the pit in a container filled with moistened potting soil. Cherry pits can take up to a year to germinate so be patient!