The Q&A Archives: Mock Orange Won't Bloom

Question: I have had 2 Philadelphus Mock orange for 4 years and they won't flower. They are growing huge and beautiful but no flowering except for a few (3) this year. Do they need pruned or what? I don't fertilize usually.

Answer: Isn't that infuriating! Mock orange, in my experience is a long lived and well loved old garden favorite and yet it can be slow to come into flower as a young plant. They prefer sun and a decent soil, bloom for about a week, and then take care of themselves for the rest of the year. As they age and get huge and super woody, they should be pruned right after flowering by generally accepted shrub renewal pruning techniques, but your plants are probably still too young to need that. Since it sounds like they are otherwise healthy and doing well, I think I would just sit tight for another year or two! The fragrance should be worth the wait.