The Q&A Archives: Toadstools in flower garden

Question: I am having problems with toadstools growing in my flower garden. There are bulbs, perennials, and annuals planted in it. What do I do to remove and keep the toadstools away?

Answer: Toadstools growing in lawn or gardens indicate some decaying organic matter below the surface. Either construction debris, old tree branches, or dead roots from large trees. The toadstools are full of reproductive spores and should be removed as soon as they appear. If allowed to grow to maturity they will spread their spores and you'll have dozens more toadstools to contend with. Rake them up and remove them, or hand pick them as soon as they appear. Eventually the underground organic matter will decompose and no more toadstools should appear.